Psychotherapy with Adults
Melanie Reese is a board-certified, psychotherapist in private practice on Music Row in Nashville, Tennessee. She is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Certified Clinical Trauma Professional. Melanie’s education and professional background in both the mind and body gives her a unique and effective approach to therapy.
Melanie is also the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Integrative Therapy of Nashville. A therapy collective that was created on the belief that mental health and healing occurs by treating the whole body. Melanie and fellow psychotherapist, Leah Lennox, intentionally sought out other practitioners with the same collaborative and holistic approach to healing. These practitioners specialize in different areas of Mental Health, Nutrition, Autoimmune & Gut Issues, Chronic Pain, Physical Therapy, Medication Management (including Psych-Oncology) and other evidence-based Holistic Therapies.
Therapy With Melanie:
Melanie was fortunate enough to begin her career at the faith-based, non-profit agency, The Refuge Center for Counseling in 2010. There she was able to work with adolescents, adults and families with diverse backgrounds and range of concerns. It was here that her love for walking along side women in their struggles and empowering them with a voice was realized. She also discovered a passion for working with trauma and seeing lives transformed in ways her clients never knew was possible after going through such pain.
The more she delved into trauma therapy with clients and dealt with her own struggles in chronic pain, she began to see the deep connection the mind and body had in the process when one experiences trauma, but also the importance of reconnection for healing to occur.
With over 9 years in therapy work with clients, they have guided her focus to Trauma, Women’s Issues and Chronic Pain.
Melanie believes that our mind and body are deeply connected and has developed her unique approach to mental health wellness with these things in mind. She integrates clinically tested and evidence-based interventions such as:
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Brainspotting (BSP)
- Animal Assisted Psychotherapy (AAP)
- Trauma Informed Yoga and Mindfulness Practices
With extensive training in Trauma, Integrative Cognitive-Behavioral and Mindfulness Therapies, Melanie works to empower individuals to overcome personal obstacles and make lasting changes.
Typical Issues Addressed in Sessions:
- Childhood Trauma
- Coping Skills
- Emotional Abuse
- Life Transitions
- Mental, Social & Physical aspects of dealing with chronic pain conditions
- Mood Related Challenges
- Relationship Dysfunction
- Sexual Abuse/Assault
- Spiritual Abuse/Explorations
- Trauma Associated with Eating Disorders (not Eating Disorders)
- Traumatic Grief (losing a loved one to suicide, losing someone unexpectedly)
Education & Trainings:
- Bachelors of Science in Human Development and Family Studies from Auburn University (2002)
- Masters of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Trevecca Nazarene University (2011)
- Masters and Post-Masters Clinical Therapist at The Refuge Center for Counseling
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) – Level II Trained
- Brainspotting (BSP) Practitioner – Level III Trained
- I-EMDR Migraine Headache/Chronic Pain Protocol
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional – CCTP
- Level 1 Trauma Sensitive Yoga
Melanie is an avid college football fan and you can always catch her cheering on the Auburn Tigers! A few of her favorite ways to relax is any time spent with friends, pilates or hanging with her two therapy dogs outside!