Individual therapy is helpful for a variety of reasons, such as increasing an individual’s self-awareness, encouraging self-exploration, identifying boundaries, enhancing communication skills and improving the use of healthy coping skills. Research shows that therapy may result in fewer relapses of common conditions, including moderate depression and anxiety. Furthermore, it indicates that the positive effects of good therapy extend beyond treatment. Many people report improved conditions long after therapy has ended.
There are many forms of therapy. Some types of treatment work better than others when handling different issues. It is common for therapists to combine ideas from different approaches when addressing a person’s needs. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Brainspotting, EMDR, mindfulness, Somatic Experiencing and Narrative therapy are just some of the modalities your therapist might feel is beneficial for your treatment goals at Integrative Therapy of Nashville.
Many couples seek therapy or marriage counseling at all different stages in the relationship. Couples find therapy as a safe place to process and navigate their issues. Some are looking to enhance and strengthen their relationship and some may be looking for guidance on a decision about ending the relationship and how to do it in a healthy way.
At Integrative Therapy of Nashville, we address couple’s issues with a holistic perspective. We will help you examine your relationship style, communication style and the dynamics between you and your partner. Your therapist will gather a thorough background of your relationship and collaborate with you and your partner to make recommendations that fit your unique situation.
Some common issues addressed in couples therapy:
- Communication Issues (Communication struggles its the #1 complaint in relationships. Learning each others communication style can strengthen your relationship.)
- Premarital Counseling (This is different than couples counseling. It’s about learning what your differences are and expectations for the marriage. It’s about starting the conversation and preventing issues from becoming problems in the marriage.)
- Sexual Issues (Working through intimacy, roles, personal values, feelings about body image, sexual desires, loneliness, etc together in your relationship)
- Infidelity and Unfaithfulness (This can be the most damaging thing a couple faces, but it is possible to heal from.)
- Nontraditional Relationships (Open relationships, polyamory and swinging can work for couples when they are consenting, respectful and safe. Struggles can be unique to their lifestyle or similar to those that all couples face.)
- Assistance Managing other Relationships (Boundaries w friends, co-workers, extended families, children, etc)
- Blended Families (When one or both partners have children from a previous relationship, parenting styles and relationship struggles may need to be explored.)
- The End of a Relationship (Being able to express feelings, sorting through practical decisions of housing, children schedules, when to communicate or even pets can be difficult.)
- Digital-Age Relationships (Technology can infiltrate and affect relationships. Working through issues and creating boundaries with each other to help restore trust when social media has hurt the relationship)
- Trust Issues (Weather from a partner’s past or an event in the current relationship, it’s important to create space to work on building trust together.)
How Can Marriage or Relationship Counseling Help Couples?
- If toxic relationship patterns can be identified early and agreed upon, the process of real change can begin.
- A motivated couple can begin to explore their problems from a new perspective and learn new ways to recognize and resolve conflicts as a result of the tools provided by the therapist.
- Partners can begin to build trust and improve communication that may have eroded the quality of their interactions.
- A couples counselor can provide “neutral territory” to help couples agree upon and work through tough issues with support.
- Couples can decide to rebuild their marriage and make a renewed commitment, or clarify the reasons why they need to separate or end the marriage.
Check our Groups page to see if we have a current Support Group available!